Founded in 2003 by its current General Manager, over the years CAPAHC has become a leading resource in Quebec for hepatitis C and co-infection. CAPAHC’s mission is:
- To provide support to people living with or affected by hepatitis C and those coinfected with HIV/HCV, as well as their families;
- To promote, in the community and without discrimination, overall health through prevention and through familiarization with the hepatitis C virus and other, related diseases (HIV coinfection);
- To design and put in place information, awareness, and education programs.
Laurence Mersilian, General Manager
The General Manager, a Parisian who moved to Montreal over 20 years ago, has quite a career in health. She abandoned her medical studies and became a scrub nurse/surgical assistant in general surgery, and worked in the area of HIV and drug addiction, and, lastly, created CAPAHC. Fortunately, the numerous minor jobs in administration, accounting and getting by between these all these milestones have left their mark…
Denis Jr Plante, Project Manager
Coming with a wealth of experience of fifteen years among the Verdun youth, this master prankster has touched a little of everything in community work, sometimes as a social worker or coordinator, sometimes as program director or general manager. A happy Denis is a Denis that can take advantage of his versatility and meet a balance between the administrative work and connection with people.
Romane Close, Project Coordinator
With a Master in public health from Université de Montréal and drawn toward community work, Romane is very happy to start her career at CAPAHC as a Project Coordinator. A good listener and continuously willing to learn new things, she’s ready to put her skills and motivation to good use for CAPAHC.
Carol-Ann Morier, Info-Herpès
A student in sexology at UQAM, Carol-Ann has a lot of interests towards sexual health and being in touch with people. She firmly believe that a quality sex education, empathetic community workers and adapted health services are a winning mix against many sexual problematics. As the person responsible for Info-Herpes, she’ll be able to work in a field that she’s passionate about : counseling.
Louis-Joseph Benoit, Project Officer
With a background in management and politics, but also a creative side, “Luigi” has been involved in many causes over the last 12 years. It’s been 5 years he has been working in the community, in family groups, ecology and with the homeless. Often responsible for managing social medias, he’s now responsible for most communications, espouse the cause of CAPAHC and hope to contribute to it.
Jalna, Human Ressources/Shredding Officer
With an indisputable charisma, Jalna never hesitates to help her colleagues who want to finish their dinner meal. She is always available to receive cuddles or to enhance the breaks of her colleagues. She is curious and dedicated to the task. The documents to be destroyed by our assigned shredder have a tragic and unavoidable end.
Most of the seats on CAPAHC’s board of directors are reserved for people living with HCV and/or HIV. There are five regular meetings of the Board of Directors.
- President : Stéphane Jacques, LL.B
- Vice-president : Docteure Emmanuelle Huchet, MD
- Treasurer : Michel Barrette
- Secretary : Laurence Mersilian
- Administrators : Ginette Fréchette, Stéphan Gendron, Patrick Dockrill, Denis Plante Jr (workers representative)
As of March 31, 2020, there were 396 members in good standing on CAPAHC’s list.
CAPAHC thanks its governmental and private partners for their ongoing support:
- Agence de santé publique du Canada
- Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal
Download the CAPAHC’s annual reports (in French only) here: